Thursday, February 3, 2011

Epic Snow & Ice Storm NOT, just another NJ snow storm

The trees got the worst of this storm.
Picture by Amanda Donner
This past week, the news was all a buzz about the snow and ice storm crossing the country. Dire forecasts scared the bejesus out of most of us on the east coast. A snow storm is one thing, but an ice storm is quiet another animal. Reports coming from the Midwest on conditions there only heightened our concern. The parking lot at the supermarket earlier this week was packed. Long lines at the checkout counter and empty shelves were the norm.

In northern NJ, the storm started Monday night with snow into Tuesday morning. Undeterred, I ventured out early in the morning to clear my patio of the couple inches of ice had accumulated in advance of the ice portion of the storm. While I was at it, I cleaned the car & topped off the gas tank in case of the pending ice brought down power. Luckily I didn’t lose power as the ice never really accumulated. For all the doom, gloom and dire warnings of the weather people the storm in my area, was pretty lame. Even so, I along with most of my neighbors was housebound for the better part of two days. In order to keep from going stir crazy I scrubbed the bathroom down (is there another room that’s more yucky to clean?), sorted my paperwork for 2010 (my accountant will be thrilled) and sent valentines to friends. Ever since my friend Gen introduced me to Send Out Cards, I’ve been having fun sending cards for all kinds of events that I never would have before. 

While the storm didn’t live up to the hype in my area, it was a productive for me. Even so, I’ve very happy to be able to get out and about again. I’m off to breakfast with a friend, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment