Sunday, February 9, 2020

100th Anniversary of Women's Right to Vote

Ritts Family Reunion Circa 1927

This photo popped up on my Facebook timeline today. As we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Ratification of the 19th Amendment, I reflect on what a difference the suffrage movement had on the women in this picture. My Great Grandma, Lizzie Hudson Ritts [1866-1947] was a grandmother many times over before casting her first ballot. While my Nana, Mary Ritts Burket [1893-1981] was married and had a daughter before gaining the right to vote. My Aunt Maybelle Burket Gillespie [1917-1992] age three 100 years ago was part of the first generation of women to grow up with the right to vote. #WomensVote100

Mary Ritts Burket and Lizzie Hudson Ritts
Maybelle Burket Gillespie with her parents and childern

No comments:

Post a Comment