Friday, April 15, 2011

My Favorite Childhood Restaurant Memory

In my search for tips on researching my family history I found an interesting group, GeneaBloggers. Among the advice offered is a challenge to record our own memories for future descendants. I am intrigued by their 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin which is a series of weekly blogging ideas. This week’s prompt is RESTAURANTS.

I immediately thought of Burger King. As a treat a couple times a year, my mom would pack my brother & my best friend’s family into the car for the trip to Burger King. Car rides with the two families always meant something fun was in store.  This BK was the first fast food restaurant in the area, so it was a novel experience for us kids. We would each get to step up to the counter and order what we wanted. This alone was huge! I realize the current generation expects that mom to fix different meals for each kid, but with the moms my friends & I grew up with, we ate what they made that night… and we ate it all, end of discussion. Our choice was the amount of fuss we put up before eating the brussel sprouts, too much fuss & no dessert. After we all ordered and gotten our crowns, we’d get our bag of food & head back home to eat. I don’t ever remember eating at the restaurant; instead all us kids would eat out on the porch back at home.

We moved from Blue Bell when I was still in elementary school, so my geographical memory is that of a child. I can give you directions from my house to: school, church, and Burger King. A few years ago we were passing through Blue Bell and there was a need for a bathroom break. Without having been in the area for decades I was able to direct the driver right to this Burger King. My aunt has moved to the area and lives a bit passed the BK, so now when I drive by, I smile.
What is was your favorite restaurant as a kid?

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I love this - I think my kid favorite was McDonald's, we would get them on the way home from the beach. The idea of a cheeseburger, chocolate shake and small fries still sounds so good! But it would have to come from the McD's on VanDyke in Warren, Mi! What a nice, comforting memory you evoked at the end of this tiring week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Jill. Fast food was such a novel concept for during our childhood. I wonder what this generations food memories will be.

    ReplyDelete