Sunday, October 27, 2013

What's in Your DNA

Ancestry.com released it's new DNA results! My Christmas present last year were Ancestry DNA tests for my dad & I. I've been doing research into my family history for a number of years so I was excited to see what doors would be opened using DNA.  AncestryDNA maps ethnicity going back multiple generations. My dad's original results were in line with my research. My original results were odd in they showed no Western European DNA, but a lot of Eastern European and Scandinavian. My research which goes back to 1600-1700s on most lines have 0% or the latter two regions. When Ancestry announced it was expanding it's testing and reworked it's maps based on further research advancements I eagerly awaited the results. I'm not a scientist so see them for the explanation. I'm just happy that the new results make far more sense both in terms of being my father's daughter and my own family research.













Now I have a new mystery to solve; who were my ancestors from the Iberian Peninsula and how far back am I going to have to travel to find them?

No comments:

Post a Comment